The fabulous gelli arts plate seams to be sold out in Germany, so I tried to make my own gelatin plate. It took a bit of try and error, but then it worked very well.
Today I used it to the fullest until it broke. I got a stack of very interesting papers, but more important: it helped me to relax from the past stressy week. What a cool and fun technique!
Here I am going to describe my simple receipt and show how I made the plate.
My first attempt with agar agar did not work. It just fell apart. I think agar agar is not elastic enough.
My second attempt was making the gelatin exactly as described on the package and it was not stiff enough.
My third attempt was to take the double amount of powder than for normal household use.
I got a perfect firm clear plate!
I used 750 ml of water with 3 packages of Dr. Oetker Gelatine (normally used for 1,5 liter)
I made it hot in a pot until everything was molten. It did not even have to boil.
Meanwhile I put thin household film (Frischhaltefolie) to have it easier to get the plate out of the bowl later.
The glass bowl is maybe not the best choice, but you need a low sided flat bowl and this one had the perfect size for me.
You pour the fluid into the bowl, put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it is stiff.
Then you have to take it out very carefully (I did it with 2 more helping hands, much easier).
I pitched mine onto a glass plate. Ready to be used!
See my first prints in the next blog post…
After a couple of hours and a stack of colorful prints the plate started to break in some spots. So I just melted it again, repeated the whole procedure and now it is back in the fridge waiting for the next use.