Playing around with Adobe Illustrator and inspired by our apple tree in full bloom in front of my office window I created these fruit icons to try heat transfer. I am not very experienced with thermo transfer material so I didn’t want to ruin a whole shirt.
Shopping bag and fruit – this fits. I got some of those handy plain cotton bags as a gift from a fabric supplier lately. Thank you!!!
Thermo transfer is big fun and not that difficult. You have to try it if you have an electronic cutting machine.
You don’t need much more, just a textile to decorate, the thermo transfer film, an iron, baking paper and patience.
But don’t forget to mirror your motifs. They will be applied upside down!
First I opened my design file in Silhouette Studio. As I had it in .svg format I had to ungroup the single motifs.
Next I colored the single motifs by filling the shapes to have a better overview of the colors I want to use.
Then I sorted the shapes so I could separate them and cut them color by color with my Silhouette Cameo from the thermo transfer film.
To do that I deleted all the colors, but just kept the color to cut first, moved the motifs to the top (to save the precious material). I saved the file and renamed it to the color I used (fruit-icons-green…).
After cutting I got all motifs back with the undo button (my best friend!)
Then I kept the color I wanted to cut next and deleted all others, saved the file and did undo I get them all back.
Step by step I got all the icons cut in different colors this way.
Maybe there are more quick and easy ways to do this, but it was my “don’t think too much relax Saturday” 🙂
I cut roughly around the motifs with a scissors.
Then I weeded away all colored material around the motif with a hook, so there were only the icons and leaves left sticking on the transparent transfer material.
I started with the icons, arranged them on my bag, put baking paper over it and did the ironing.
You have to put your textile on a hard ground to have enough pressure. You press the iron onto the textile for a certain amount of seconds depending on the materials (as hot as possible). For the neon pink the heat was too much and the white glue ran out under the pink. So it’s always better to make a test with a little left over.
Next I added the leaves, placed them and ironed them with much pressure until they were fixed, too.