After a bit of a hard time the past 3 weeks I treated myself with the lovely stamp set from Stampers Anonymous by Tim Holtz. I was extremely happy, that I got them at all in Germany, where we get all new things 1 year later usually.
So just before the weekend I got my little package and started directly stamping and painting. I also got back my good mood directly. I am not much of a stamper, but these little character birds are just too cute and funny and it was so relaxing to sit in the sun messing around with color.
Tracing and cutting with my Cameo worked very well with PixScan. Then today I made some cards for next weeks birthdays, a mix of Cameo-cut words, parts of my own collage sheets and die cut elements out of my Bigshot. Now my workshop is a mess! So I start the new week with tidying up…
So what am I going to do now with my little line art beauties?
First I scanned them, something you could not imagine 50 years ago when the spirograph was invented as a toy.
It is impossible to extract them from the white background so I had limited possibilities to add an other background in Photoshop.
Anyway with the blending mode to be found in the layer palette there were some choices. With “subtract”, “difference” and “exclusion” on a beige grungy texture I got very surprising dark effects. The colors of the line graphics changed, almost looked like neons. Perfect!
I played with the outlines/shapes to get different edges.
The prints were a bit pale, because I did not use glossy photo paper, but simple offwhite thick card stock. But I still loved them.
I cut them with my Silhouette Cameo.
Then I colored (as always) the white cutting edges with the edge blending tool which made them look much more interesting.
On some doilies I painted glossy dots with “Glossy Accents”.
And now comes the fun!
Of course you can use them as they are as gift tags. But I just love to make special gift tags and I always need many of them. So I played with the colors, mixed and matched, gave them wings and pearls, brads, gears, ribbon, a raven and a fish.
Have fun and I hope you’ll get some inspiration!
Just some more prints I made on Sunday. I love the details of the red and blue prints. I have no clue how I made those funny drops. I just layered the stencils, rolled and rubbed …
Enjoy and be inspired!
I used a simple small brayer from the do-it-yourself store here. I had just 3 colors of acrylic paint: red, blue and yellow, in addition black and white. And I had a whole Sunday afternoon for myself…
These are some of my first prints.
I am still having a lot more sheets that I do not like so much. I will keep them for further use, for stamping, die cutting or another layer of gel printing.
I love the random results. For me as I usually want to have full control over all my designs this is a wonderful exercise to let loose.
In the top pics I used some simple paper doilies I once made with my Big Shot and folded paper.
With gel printing you always get a first color intense print and a second print, which is more pale. I find the second prints more beautiful. For cleaning the brayer you even get a good 3rd print sometimes. This way I got little series from all types I tried. Great to find out what you prefer!
But I will not use an embossing folder anymore! The paint dried too quick and I didn’t get it clean anymore.
It is better to mess around with my own stencils cut from paper or film.
And I “stole” my bfs advent calendar numbers….lol…he will get new ones (or the painted ones?) on end of the year. I LOVE the number prints!
The fabulous gelli arts plate seams to be sold out in Germany, so I tried to make my own gelatin plate. It took a bit of try and error, but then it worked very well.
Today I used it to the fullest until it broke. I got a stack of very interesting papers, but more important: it helped me to relax from the past stressy week. What a cool and fun technique!
Here I am going to describe my simple receipt and show how I made the plate.
My first attempt with agar agar did not work. It just fell apart. I think agar agar is not elastic enough.
My second attempt was making the gelatin exactly as described on the package and it was not stiff enough.
My third attempt was to take the double amount of powder than for normal household use.
I got a perfect firm clear plate!
I used 750 ml of water with 3 packages of Dr. Oetker Gelatine (normally used for 1,5 liter)
I made it hot in a pot until everything was molten. It did not even have to boil.
Meanwhile I put thin household film (Frischhaltefolie) to have it easier to get the plate out of the bowl later.
The glass bowl is maybe not the best choice, but you need a low sided flat bowl and this one had the perfect size for me.
You pour the fluid into the bowl, put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it is stiff.
Then you have to take it out very carefully (I did it with 2 more helping hands, much easier).
I pitched mine onto a glass plate. Ready to be used!
See my first prints in the next blog post…
After a couple of hours and a stack of colorful prints the plate started to break in some spots. So I just melted it again, repeated the whole procedure and now it is back in the fridge waiting for the next use.