some new gelli print experiments

After so much precise vector work the past weeks I did some relaxation with my gelli plate last night.

First I prepared some embossed papers and die cuts I wanted to use. Of course I could not control myself again when Sizzix UK had their big sale lately, so I got a big box with new embossing folders and decorative strips dies. I was instantly in love with the Tim Holtz dies.

On the top print I used them as stencils, but they kept sticking on the print after removing the page from the gelli plate giving a lovely effect just like the flower masks from film, which are covered with acrylic paint and sticking between the stencils and the page. So this has become a mixed media page without intention.

I tried adding golden modeling paste, which looks much more beautiful on the original print than on the scans.

The black and white is just decorative and maybe I will go on working on it.

For the purple print I used some dots from the trash from mirror cardboard and wow, they also been sticking and still shiny after removing, so I just let them stay and shimmer.

And the bottom print will be a wonderful background paper whenever I need a walltexture. I never expected it to come out so cool. The first print did not look very spectacular, but this is the second print with removed stencils. What a surprise.

Altogether a successful gelli session and so much fun!

 

gelli_print-172 gelli_print-174 gelli_print-177 gelli_print-181 gelli_print-183

Advertisements

printed prints – spring tags with butterflies

I just did not have the heart to cut my original gelli prints so I have scanned them all, yes all 79 I have made during my “test the gelatin printing” and “test the new gelliarts plate which arrived a couple of days ago” phase. But now they are saved forever and I can work with them without damaging anything.

Wow, and it was so much fun to recolor some of them, play with hue and saturation, contrasts and brightness.
I printed some of them on my favorite structured off white card stock. They printed like a charm and are looking great, perfect for making tags together with some butterfly and flower embellishments.

I die cut not only tags, but ovals and circles. The first time I tried triangle tags and I like them.
Have a great and sunny day!

butterflies collage sheet
flowers collage sheet


gelli arts prints

gelli arts prints

Tags from my gelli prints

Tags from my gelli prints

 

Making my own gelli plate for gel printing from gelatin

The fabulous gelli arts plate seams to be sold out in Germany, so I tried to make my own gelatin plate. It took a bit of try and error, but then it worked very well.
Today I used it to the fullest until it broke. I got a stack of very interesting papers, but more important: it helped me to relax from the past stressy week. What a cool and fun technique!

Here I am going to describe my simple receipt and show how I made the plate.

My first attempt with agar agar did not work. It just fell apart. I think agar agar is not elastic enough.
My second attempt was making the gelatin exactly as described on the package and it was not stiff enough.
My third attempt was to take the double amount of powder than for normal household use.
I got a perfect firm clear plate!

I used 750 ml of water with 3 packages of Dr. Oetker Gelatine (normally used for 1,5 liter)
I made it hot in a pot until everything was molten. It did not even have to boil.

Meanwhile I put thin household film (Frischhaltefolie) to have it easier to get the plate out of the bowl later.
The glass bowl is maybe not the best choice, but you need a low sided flat bowl and this one had the perfect size for me.

You pour the fluid into the bowl, put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it is stiff.
Then you have to take it out very carefully (I did it with 2 more helping hands, much easier).
I pitched mine onto a glass plate. Ready to be used!

See my first prints in the next blog post…

gelatin_plate1

gelatin_plate2

gelatin_plate3

After a couple of hours and a stack of colorful prints the plate started to break in some spots. So I just melted it again, repeated the whole procedure and now it is back in the fridge waiting for the next use.

gelatin_plate4

gelatin_plate5