making endless damask paper rollers for gelli printing

I recently ordered 2 sets of damask embossing folders from Sizzix with having wall paper like prints in mind. The little size does not cover a letter size sheet though, so I tried to make endless rollers.
I found a matching roll within my fabric stock and cut it in pieces, also the embossed papers and fixed them around the rolls.You need to have very good double sided tape for this to get a clear endless pattern.

I used the rollers with the gelli plate and it was such a sticky, messy and intricate action, that I totally forgot to make pics. I was not happy with the results anyway. But with a couple of days rest in between, then scanning some of the best sheets, recoloring them on the computer and printing the new colors I found them usable.

I cut tags, ran them through the Big Shot again embossing them with the same patterns. I brushed distressed ink pads over it softly to get more contrasts and then covered them with embellishments. At the end I love them and I will bore you even more with tags 🙂

embossing_damask_patterns

making_the_rolls

tags_damask_rolls

printed_gelliprints

tags_damask_rolls2

tags_damask_rolls1

 

 

Advertisements

printed prints – spring tags with butterflies

I just did not have the heart to cut my original gelli prints so I have scanned them all, yes all 79 I have made during my “test the gelatin printing” and “test the new gelliarts plate which arrived a couple of days ago” phase. But now they are saved forever and I can work with them without damaging anything.

Wow, and it was so much fun to recolor some of them, play with hue and saturation, contrasts and brightness.
I printed some of them on my favorite structured off white card stock. They printed like a charm and are looking great, perfect for making tags together with some butterfly and flower embellishments.

I die cut not only tags, but ovals and circles. The first time I tried triangle tags and I like them.
Have a great and sunny day!

butterflies collage sheet
flowers collage sheet


gelli arts prints

gelli arts prints

Tags from my gelli prints

Tags from my gelli prints

 

Gel Printing – my first attempts with a self made plate

I used a simple small brayer from the do-it-yourself store here. I had just 3 colors of acrylic paint: red, blue and yellow, in addition black and white. And I had a whole Sunday afternoon for myself…

These are some of my first prints.
I am still having a lot more sheets that I do not like so much. I will keep them for further use, for stamping, die cutting or another layer of gel printing.

I love the random results. For me as I usually want to have full control over all my designs this is a wonderful exercise to let loose.

In the top pics I used some simple paper doilies I once made with my Big Shot and folded paper.
With gel printing you always get a first color intense print and a second print, which is more pale. I find the second prints more beautiful. For cleaning the brayer you even get a good 3rd print sometimes. This way I got little series from all types I tried. Great to find out what you prefer!

But I will not use an embossing folder anymore! The paint dried too quick and I didn’t get it clean anymore.
It is better to mess around with my own stencils cut from paper or film.

And I “stole” my bfs advent calendar numbers….lol…he will get new ones (or the painted ones?) on end of the year. I LOVE the number prints!

lace_stencils1

lace_stencils

 

pastel_circles1 circle_prints

 

numbers_prints

 

I_love_you_print

I_love_you_print1

Making my own gelli plate for gel printing from gelatin

The fabulous gelli arts plate seams to be sold out in Germany, so I tried to make my own gelatin plate. It took a bit of try and error, but then it worked very well.
Today I used it to the fullest until it broke. I got a stack of very interesting papers, but more important: it helped me to relax from the past stressy week. What a cool and fun technique!

Here I am going to describe my simple receipt and show how I made the plate.

My first attempt with agar agar did not work. It just fell apart. I think agar agar is not elastic enough.
My second attempt was making the gelatin exactly as described on the package and it was not stiff enough.
My third attempt was to take the double amount of powder than for normal household use.
I got a perfect firm clear plate!

I used 750 ml of water with 3 packages of Dr. Oetker Gelatine (normally used for 1,5 liter)
I made it hot in a pot until everything was molten. It did not even have to boil.

Meanwhile I put thin household film (Frischhaltefolie) to have it easier to get the plate out of the bowl later.
The glass bowl is maybe not the best choice, but you need a low sided flat bowl and this one had the perfect size for me.

You pour the fluid into the bowl, put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it is stiff.
Then you have to take it out very carefully (I did it with 2 more helping hands, much easier).
I pitched mine onto a glass plate. Ready to be used!

See my first prints in the next blog post…

gelatin_plate1

gelatin_plate2

gelatin_plate3

After a couple of hours and a stack of colorful prints the plate started to break in some spots. So I just melted it again, repeated the whole procedure and now it is back in the fridge waiting for the next use.

gelatin_plate4

gelatin_plate5