Last week I needed a special “get well” card for an ill friend. I thought it must be more than just a card and it has to be spring themed. I still had some unused cutting files from the Silhouette online store in my library and I had a brand new Epson A3 photo printer (my early birthday gift, such a cool machine…) here, not yet tested.
So I started with a 3D star booklet and cut the parts on my Silhouette Cameo in heavy white paper and grey card stock.
Then I printed some big sheets with fresh stripes and recut the middle parts.
For cover and backside I used test prints from one of my gelli prints.
It was quite a bit fiddling to get all the parts assembled and I found help on the designer, Jamie Lane’s blog, from whom I had the cutting file: http://jamielanedesigns.blogspot.de/2013/11/star-mini-albums.html
Then I filled one of the finished booklets with embellishments, scraps and some hand written text. The other I kept blanc for later use. Now my spring booklet is almost a pop up album and the gift was a big success.
And this is it:
Just some more prints I made on Sunday. I love the details of the red and blue prints. I have no clue how I made those funny drops. I just layered the stencils, rolled and rubbed …
Enjoy and be inspired!
So today I used my new stencils with the new made gelatin plate.
I think I am going to order the Gelli Arts plate next week. I saw it is available again.
My gelatin plate is full of color pigments now after 2 times usage. For my next session I definitely need a new one.
I got another stack of prints. There are not many I am really happy with today though. While printing I wished I had a redo button like on the computer, because I ruined a beautiful print with adding another layer and it has just not been a good choice, what a pity. I wished I had more control and I could repeat a print, but no way.
Here you can see some work in process pics and some results.
More pics I’ll show tomorrow….
I used a simple small brayer from the do-it-yourself store here. I had just 3 colors of acrylic paint: red, blue and yellow, in addition black and white. And I had a whole Sunday afternoon for myself…
These are some of my first prints.
I am still having a lot more sheets that I do not like so much. I will keep them for further use, for stamping, die cutting or another layer of gel printing.
I love the random results. For me as I usually want to have full control over all my designs this is a wonderful exercise to let loose.
In the top pics I used some simple paper doilies I once made with my Big Shot and folded paper.
With gel printing you always get a first color intense print and a second print, which is more pale. I find the second prints more beautiful. For cleaning the brayer you even get a good 3rd print sometimes. This way I got little series from all types I tried. Great to find out what you prefer!
But I will not use an embossing folder anymore! The paint dried too quick and I didn’t get it clean anymore.
It is better to mess around with my own stencils cut from paper or film.
And I “stole” my bfs advent calendar numbers….lol…he will get new ones (or the painted ones?) on end of the year. I LOVE the number prints!
The fabulous gelli arts plate seams to be sold out in Germany, so I tried to make my own gelatin plate. It took a bit of try and error, but then it worked very well.
Today I used it to the fullest until it broke. I got a stack of very interesting papers, but more important: it helped me to relax from the past stressy week. What a cool and fun technique!
Here I am going to describe my simple receipt and show how I made the plate.
My first attempt with agar agar did not work. It just fell apart. I think agar agar is not elastic enough.
My second attempt was making the gelatin exactly as described on the package and it was not stiff enough.
My third attempt was to take the double amount of powder than for normal household use.
I got a perfect firm clear plate!
I used 750 ml of water with 3 packages of Dr. Oetker Gelatine (normally used for 1,5 liter)
I made it hot in a pot until everything was molten. It did not even have to boil.
Meanwhile I put thin household film (Frischhaltefolie) to have it easier to get the plate out of the bowl later.
The glass bowl is maybe not the best choice, but you need a low sided flat bowl and this one had the perfect size for me.
You pour the fluid into the bowl, put it into the fridge for a couple of hours and it is stiff.
Then you have to take it out very carefully (I did it with 2 more helping hands, much easier).
I pitched mine onto a glass plate. Ready to be used!
See my first prints in the next blog post…
After a couple of hours and a stack of colorful prints the plate started to break in some spots. So I just melted it again, repeated the whole procedure and now it is back in the fridge waiting for the next use.